Following on from the sire and brood analysis of Trial Stakes this season it’s time we turned our attention to All Age stakes. There are a number of interesting angles that can be taken at this but I’ve focussed on the influence of sires, the importance of winning Trial Stakes as pups and the age of winners.
Bexhill Eoin was the leading sire quite comfortably in the end, helped in no small part by the success of Duchess the leading qualifier in the Grace Bruton Champion Stakes. Of the ten Bexhill Eoin cup winners among the dogs, 6 were won by dogs in their 3rd season.
Adios Alonso was in second position with an even number of dog and bitch Cup winners, while Mafi Magic helped by Skellig pair, Skellig Way and Skellig Sunrise got 11 Cup winners.
|March Is On||4|
Breakdown by All Age Dogs
|March Is On||3|
Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the All Age Cups this season and it’s a trend I noticed last season as well is that dogs that fail to win Trial Stakes as pups often win more Cups as older dogs than dogs that win cups. This season
- 39 Cups were won by dogs who failed to win Trial Stakes
- 31 Cups were won by dogs who won Trial Stakes
- 54 of 70 cups were won by second season dogs
- 16 of 70 cups were won by third season dogs
- Of the third season dogs to win cups only Hopes and Dreams, Arise Sir Mark and Cuine Boy won Trial Stakes as pups
- No pup won an All Age Stake this season while only one bitch (Loyal Lyric) won a mixed cup
Breakdown by All Age Bitches
|March Is On||1|
Among the ladies the success of non-Trial Stake winners was quite as pronounced but they still made up a significant number of Bitch Stake winners
- 30 of 47 Cup winners won Trial Stakes as pups
- 17 of 30 Cup winners failed to win Trial Stakes as pups
- 42 of 47 Cup winners were second season bitches